I'm a PhD candidate at the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, a member of the Databases and Information Systems Group (advisors: Prof. Gerhard Weikum and Dr. Simon Razniewski). During my PhD I interned at The University of Edinburgh (mentor: Jeff Z. Pan) and at Bosch Center for Artificial Intelligence (mentor: Daria Stepanova). Previously, I received my Master's of Computer Science from The American University of Beirut (advisor: Shady Elbassuoni).
My research interests include knowledge bases, web search, information retrieval.
SWJ 2023 (under review)
journal paperUnCommonSense: Informative Negative Knowledge about Everyday Concepts. Hiba Arnaout, Simon Razniewski, Gerhard Weikum, and Jeff Z. Pan
CIKM 2022 webpage - paper
conference paperUtilizing Language Model Probes for Knowledge Graph Repair. Hiba Arnaout, Trung-Kien Tran, Daria Stepanova, Mohamed Hassan Gad-Elrab, Simon Razniewski, and Gerhard Weikum
Wikiworkshop at WWW 2022 paper
workshop paperNegative Statements Considered Useful. Hiba Arnaout, Simon Razniewski, Gerhard Weikum, and Jeff Z. Pan
JWS 2021 webpage - paper
journal paperNegative Knowledge for Open-world Wikidata. Hiba Arnaout, Simon Razniewski, Gerhard Weikum, and Jeff Z. Pan
WWW Companion 2021 paper
workshop paperNeguess: Wikidata-entity Guessing Game with Negative Clues. Aditya B. Biswas, Hiba Arnaout, and Simon Razniewski
ISWC 2021 webpage - paper
demo paperWikinegata: A Knowledge Base with Interesting Negative Statements. Hiba Arnaout, Simon Razniewski, Gerhard Weikum, and Jeff Z. Pan
VLDB 2021 webpage - paper
demo paperEnriching Knowledge Bases with Interesting Negative Statements. Hiba Arnaout, Simon Razniewski, and Gerhard Weikum
AKBC 2020 Audience-choice best paper award webpage - paper - slides
conference paperBiological Knowledge Graph Construction, Search, and Navigation. Chandana Tennakoon, Nazar Zaki, Hiba Arnaout, Shady Elbassuoni, Wassim El-Hajj, and Alanoud Al Jaberi
Academic Press 2019 book - chapter
book chapterEffective Searching of RDF Knowledge Graphs. Hiba Arnaout and Shady Elbassuoni
JWS 2018 Presented at ISWC 2018 paper - slides
journal paperTop-k Keyword Search over Wikipedia-based RDF Knowledge Graphs. Hrag Yoghourdjian, Shady Elbassuoni, Mohamad Jaber, and Hiba Arnaout
KDIR 2017 Best student paper award nominee paper
conference paperResult Diversity for RDF Search. Hiba Arnaout and Shady Elbassuoni
KDIR 2016 paper
- Completeness, Recall, and Negation in Open-World Knowledge Bases (with Simon Razniewski, Shrestha Ghosh, and Fabian Suchanek), tutorial at KR 2021, ISWC 2021, and WWW 2022. webpage
- On the Limits of Machine Knowledge (with Simon Razniewski, Shrestha Ghosh, and Fabian Suchanek), tutorial at VLDB 2021. webpage
- Enriching Knowledge Bases with Interesting Negative Statements, Forum for presentations of significant Semantic Web-related research at ISWC 2020.
- ResearcherMax Planck Institute for InformaticsFeb 2018 - exp. May 2023Saarbrücken, Germany
- Research InternBosch Center for Artificial IntelligenceJun 2021 - Mar 2022Renningen, Germany
- Visiting ResearcherThe University of EdinburghFeb 2020 - Aug 2020Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Document Control AdministratorAmerican University of BeirutJan 2016 – Dec 2017Beirut, Lebanon
- Research AssistantAmerican University of BeirutFeb 2014 – Jan 2018Beirut, Lebanon
- IT InstructorAmerican University of Beirut & United NationsMar 2017 – Sep 2017Beirut, Lebanon
- Teaching AssistantAmerican University of BeirutFeb 2014 – Dec 2016Beirut, Lebanon
- Reviewer: JWS ('22), EMNLP ('21,'22), IJCAI ('21,'22), CIKM ('20,'21), ISWC ('20, '21), ACL ('20).
- Volunteer: VLDB ('21).
Scholarships and Awards
- Reward for invention Knowledge Graph Repair Using Ontologies and LMs, Bosch, 2022.
- Participated in discussion, DFG grant of 312,000 € for compiling negative knowledge at web scale, 2021.
- Audience-choice Best Paper Award at AKBC, 2020.
- Best Student Paper Award Nominee at IC3K'17, 2017.
- Full Graduate Assistantship at the American University of Beirut, 2014.
- Aditya Bikram Biswas (Master's student), 2021.
- Mang Zhao (Master's student), 2018.
- Attended Reasoning Web Summer School, RW, 2019.
- Attended Lisbon Machine Learning School, LxMLS, 2018.
harnaout[at]mpi-inf.mpg.de - Twitter