I'm a PhD candidate at the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, a member of the Databases and Information Systems Group (advisors: Prof. Gerhard Weikum and Dr. Simon Razniewski). I work on discovering informative negative statements from encyclopedic and commonsense open-world knowledge bases. During this work I visited The University of Edinburgh for 6 months and collaborated with Jeff Z. Pan. I interned at Bosch Center for Artificial Intelligence (mentor: Daria Stepanova) for 4 months, working on repairing inconsistent knowledge bases using pretrained language models. Previously, I received my Master's of Computer Science from The American University of Beirut (advisor: Shady Elbassuoni, topic: effective search of RDF Knowledge Bases).
My research interests include knowledge bases, negative knowledge, information retrieval. [Research statement]
Wiki-based Communities of Interest: Demographics and Outliers. Hiba Arnaout, Simon Razniewski, and Jeff Z. Pan
ICWSM 2023 under review
[DEMO] - [PAPER] - [DATA]
UnCommonSense in Action! Informative Negations for Commonsense Knowledge Bases. Hiba Arnaout, Tuan-Phong Nguyen, Simon Razniewski, and Gerhard Weikum
[DEMO] - [PAPER]
UnCommonSense: Informative Negative Knowledge about Everyday Concepts. Hiba Arnaout, Simon Razniewski, Gerhard Weikum, and Jeff Z. Pan
CIKM 2022 Acceptance rate 23%
[WEBPAGE] - [PAPER] - [SLIDES] - [POSTER]
Utilizing Language Model Probes for Knowledge Graph Repair. Hiba Arnaout, Trung-Kien Tran, Daria Stepanova, Mohamed Hassan Gad-Elrab, Simon Razniewski, and Gerhard Weikum
Wikiworkshop at WWW 2022
Negative Statements Considered Useful. Hiba Arnaout, Simon Razniewski, Gerhard Weikum, and Jeff Z. Pan
[WEBPAGE] - [PAPER]
Negative Knowledge for Open-world Wikidata. Hiba Arnaout, Simon Razniewski, Gerhard Weikum, and Jeff Z. Pan
WWW Companion 2021
Neguess: Wikidata-entity Guessing Game with Negative Clues. Aditya B. Biswas, Hiba Arnaout, and Simon Razniewski
[DEMO] - [PAPER]
Wikinegata: A Knowledge Base with Interesting Negative Statements. Hiba Arnaout, Simon Razniewski, Gerhard Weikum, and Jeff Z. Pan
[DEMO] - [PAPER]
Enriching Knowledge Bases with Interesting Negative Statements. Hiba Arnaout, Simon Razniewski, and Gerhard Weikum
AKBC 2020 Audience-choice best paper award (voted by conference attendees) [WEBPAGE] - [PAPER] - [SLIDES]
Biological Knowledge Graph Construction, Search, and Navigation. Chandana Tennakoon, Nazar Zaki, Hiba Arnaout, Shady Elbassuoni, Wassim El-Hajj, and Alanoud Al Jaberi
Academic Press 2019
[BOOK] - [CHAPTER]
Effective Searching of RDF Knowledge Graphs. Hiba Arnaout and Shady Elbassuoni
JWS 2018 Later presented at ISWC 2018
[PAPER] - [SLIDES]
Top-k Keyword Search over Wikipedia-based RDF Knowledge Graphs. Hrag Yoghourdjian, Shady Elbassuoni, Mohamad Jaber, and Hiba Arnaout
KDIR 2017 Best student paper award nominee
Result Diversity for RDF Search. Hiba Arnaout and Shady Elbassuoni
- Negative Statements Considered Useful, invited talk at the Institute for Language, Cognition and Computation (ILCC), The University of Edinburgh, 2022. [SLIDES]
- Completeness, Recall, and Negation in Open-World Knowledge Bases (with Simon Razniewski, Shrestha Ghosh, and Fabian Suchanek), tutorial at KR 2021, ISWC 2021, and WWW 2022. [WEBPAGE]
- On the Limits of Machine Knowledge (with Simon Razniewski, Shrestha Ghosh, and Fabian Suchanek), tutorial at VLDB 2021. [WEBPAGE]
- Enriching Knowledge Bases with Interesting Negative Statements, Forum for presentations of significant Semantic Web-related research at ISWC 2020.
- ResearcherMax Planck Institute for InformaticsFeb 2018 - exp. May 2023Saarbrücken, Germany
- Research InternBosch Center for Artificial IntelligenceJun 2021 - Mar 2022Renningen, Germany
- Visiting ResearcherThe University of EdinburghFeb 2020 - Aug 2020Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Document Control AdministratorAmerican University of BeirutJan 2016 – Dec 2017Beirut, Lebanon
- Research AssistantAmerican University of BeirutFeb 2014 – Jan 2018Beirut, Lebanon
- IT InstructorAmerican University of Beirut & United NationsMar 2017 – Sep 2017Beirut, Lebanon
- Teaching AssistantAmerican University of BeirutFeb 2014 – Dec 2016Beirut, Lebanon
- Reviewer: JWS ('22), EMNLP ('21,'22), IJCAI ('21,'22, '23), CIKM ('20,'21), ISWC ('20, '21), ACL ('20).
- Volunteer: VLDB ('21).
Scholarships and Awards
- Reward for invention Knowledge Graph Repair Using Ontologies and LMs, Bosch, 2022.
- Participated in discussion, DFG grant of 312,000 € for compiling negative knowledge at web scale, 2021.
- Audience-choice Best Paper Award at AKBC, 2020.
- Best Student Paper Award Nominee at IC3K'17, 2017.
- Full Graduate Assistantship at the American University of Beirut, 2014.
- Aditya Bikram Biswas (Master's student), 2021.
- Mang Zhao (Master's student), 2018.
- Attended Reasoning Web Summer School, RW, 2019.
- Attended Lisbon Machine Learning School, LxMLS, 2018.
harnaout[at]mpi-inf.mpg.de - Twitter